Monday 19 May 2008

Laura and the cultural behaviour

For your collective comfort and enjoyment and in the interests of health and safety, I have decided to continue on with my online journal. I have been very cultural the last few days and feel I would like to share the details of this. It is not often I engage in cultural pursuits. More often than not, I can be found with my head in a 'Heat' magazine, or drooling over some wretched American models doing fierce walks down the runway. But believe it or not,in the space of one day, I visited an art gallery,and the Fact cinema TWICE.Admittedly, the art exhibition was a work trip. But I was in there nonetheless and was immediately taken by an interesting sculptural piece, triangular in design, yellow in colour and bearing the words 'caution - wet floor'. It was accompanied by a bowl of murky looking water and if one looked heavenwards, there were some fascinating circular psychedelic stains on the ceiling. I marvelled at the post modern humour of the exhibit, which to me was much more resonant than purely contemporary art. Moving on, I noticed my colleague studying a picture of some sea. She invited me to share in the beauty and simplicity of the piece, however I became bored by it on contact. I don't know about you, but I demand more visual stimuli from my art than just a plain expanse of sea. I suggested that it needed something else in it to 'beef it up', such as a boat, lighthouse or shark. Luckily, I spotted a comments book and was able to voice my concerns on paper. Hopefully, these will be passed onto the artist and they can then incorporate some of my suggestions next time. It is important to respond to market research I feel.I saw a short film and a long film at the fact. The short one was called 'Eternal Youth' and whilst it depicted stunning cinematograhpy, it was far too scary and I had to keep looking away. It was also full of loud bangs and so it is difficult to make a full evaluation of its creative merit when you have had your hands over your eyes and ears for most of it.The long film was 'happy go lucky', wasn't bad at all really. Special commendation has to go to the wardrobe department for their dedication and commitment in ensuring the protaganist wore a full range of exciting lacy tights throughout the film.Note to self: check out lacy tights in John Lewis.So that's all the cultural stuff for now, and probably the rest of the year. My primary bath mat is out of the wash and dry. But horror of horrors - it is full of creases!I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams putting it on the floor like that, yet I feel that ironing it would be unspeakably sad. I have folded it and put it on top of some tins of paint in the cupboard until I can figure out a solution to this vexing problem.Through discussion of my bath mat in this journal, it has come to light that my dear friend Jeni does not even own one! I could hardly believe it was true, although this does now solve the problem of what I should buy for her birthday.

1 comment:

Elsa41 said...

Loved your description of the "wet floor" industrial sculpture. Strangely enough, we have those here in the U.S. as well. Sometimes they are on walls and are called "wet paint", no snaps for originality although they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...personally I'd rather have money than flattery, but that's just me. Thanks again, Laura! Love your fun filled days!!