Monday 21 July 2008

Laura and the trip to Anna's

Yesterday I went on an exciting trip to the Wirral region of Merseyside, to visit my good friend Anna, who is expecting a set of twins. She has moved back to her Mum's house and I was interested to examine these new environs.

After taking an exciting 'First' tunnel bus, I was met by Anna at the bus stop in Wallasey. I took a fast walk down the alleyway to her Mum's, but when I turned around, Anna was way behind, due to the fact the twins had reduced her lung capacity to a third its usual size.

I was very impressed with Anna's Ma's house upon arrival. It was decorated in my favourite colours of red and pink, with sumptuous furnishings and artistic cosmetic flourishes in the bathroom.

Anna had sourced some excellent cold beverages from the ASDA 'Extra Special' range. I indulged in a glass of dandelion and burdock and when we entered the living room, I was offered an occasional table to rest it on.

We watched the first episode of a fantastic 'teen angst' style series called 'My So- Called Life'. Anna had sourced it from some sort of pirate production premises, so it intermittently turned itself off during the viewing process. Despite this, it contained all the necessary ingredients to ensure a truly engaging and fulfilling teen drama, whcih are:

Moody teen protagonist
Moody teen protagonist who goes through image crisis and dyes hair an attractive but unacceptable to parents shade.
MTP who has bad relationship with mother.
MTP who is weird and quirky and says things like 'Anne Frank was lucky'
MTP who falls in with the wrong crowd
MTP who lusts after some guy but doesn't seem like she is ever going to get together with him.
MTP who tries hard to be cool but then falls over in mud.

It was truly fantastic. It 'spoke' to us on many levels and took us back to the times when we were both moody teen protagonists.To accompany our viewing, Anna had prepared a delicious lunch of baked potato with carrot cake for afters. Both were again sourced from the ASDA shopping emporium.

Once we had finished with lunch and televisual viewing we played a game of prodding Anna's stomach to see if we could identify bits of the twins. I had a really good poke around and I thought I could feel an arm or a leg. It was terrifically exciting.Then we discussed the birthing process and how we believed it may pan out. We shared the details of various 'horror stories' we had heard, although Anna declined my advice to look on YouTube to check out the realities, as captured by well meaning husbands and fathers.

Note: No matter how curious you are, if you are pregnant it is probably best not to do this. I checked this out in an unpregnant and unwanting to be pregnant state, yet was interested in a purely anthropological way and it raised serious issues about the design faults of the female body and the failure of the evolutionary process to correct them.

At 4.30pm I left to begin the journey back to Liverpool, where I needed to meet Alan for our usual Friday night carvery ritual.

No comments: